Thursday, October 20, 2022

Overcoming Writer's Block

 


Nothing is more clear than that every plot, worth the name, must be elaborated to its dénouement [ending] before anything be attempted with the pen. It is only with the dénouement constantly in view that we can give a plot its indispensable air of consequence, or causation, by making the incidents, and especially the tone at all points, tend to the development of the intention.

Edgar Allen Poe

Or, more simply, begin with the end in mind.  

Great advice---if you know the ending!  I don't.  That's why I'm stuck right now.  I am at a point in my life where soon my identity as a teacher must change.  I headed West in large part escaping the unhappiness that comes from feeling like I'm drifting, just going through the motions.  Lest I sound ungrateful, I want to make clear that there have been some tremendous bright spots, especially bright given that they occurred during the time of Covid.  But even those often related to my identity as teacher.  And with my retirement in a couple of years, that's what's changing.  So how can I write with an ending in mind?  

For me, writing has more often been an act of discovery (or therapy.)  Throw up in the morning; clean up in the afternoon.  Be happy if there are a few solid chunks of prose or ideas that you can use later.  (Okay, I admit to pushing that metaphor too far.)  

So I'll keep writing each day.  Part of getting through a transition is being with the discomfort and not rushing nor avoiding it.  We all know the stories of someone married to an alcoholic who finally gets free of the marriage only to jump into another relationship with an alcoholic.  But more of us are personally experienced with avoidance---endless scrolling on our phones, one more beer or cup of coffee, even resorting to cleaning the house and washing dishes.  We may discover a few new dustballs under the bed but that won't get us closer to the dénouement.

Okay.  Back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment